HOW ROYALTY USED FASHION TO ENTERTAIN, CONTROL AND IMPRESS
Delve into the wardrobes of British kings and queens across five royal dynasties - from the Tudors, Stuarts and Georgians to the Victorians and Windsors. With exclusive access to the Royal Ceremonial Dress Collection and expert input from curators at the Historic Royal Palaces, you will learn from different sources to study Royal Fashion History.
This course has a range of activities and materials that are designed to give you the chance to engage with other learners and encourage you to think about the links between princely costumes of the past and our own clothing choices today. Go behind the scenes and look at the fashion successes, eccentricities, and failures of different royal dynasties in Britain. From a sumptuous court of the Tudors at Hampton Court Palace to the sleek and elegant Windsors at Kensington, join us to explore how royals use fashion and clothing to control, to entertain, and to impress.
On successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Assess the significance of fashion and clothing to individual and collective British royals.
- Identify key fashion developments from the 1500s to the present day.
- Reflect on how and why fashions have changed.
- Explore the significance of different primary sources for understanding fashion history.
- Develop an understanding of the history of British monarchs, their family and their reigns.
Week 1: The Tudors
Step into the square shoes of the Tudors and see how their lavish clothes were designed to project power, wealth and control.
Week 2: The Stuarts
The Stuarts are centre stage to showcase how they dressed for leisure and influenced new trends through performance in an increasing time of conflict.
Week 3: The Georgians
Explore the glamorous Georgians, their century of economic and social change, extreme fashions and an era marked by very public and very private monarchs.
Week 4: The Victorians
Move into the reign of Queen Victoria, her own changing wardrobe and how technological advancements took fashion forwards.
Week 5: The Windsors
Welcome to the 20th century where the Windsors balance royal fashion with diplomacy and expectations in an era of mass media ad celebrity.
- Application Deadline
- Start Date
- 24 Jun 2019
- 24 Jun 2019
What it's like to study online
- 100% online for complete flexibility
- Our part-time online programmes are ideal if you're working full-time or have family commitments.
- Connect to campus from anywhere
- All you need for our online programmes is a device with internet access.
- Gain a global perspective
- As an online student, you'll be part of an international community of academics and learners.