CELEBRATE ROBERT BURNS
Robert Burns was a world famous figure who rose to literary prominence in 1786. He was considered one of the first celebrities of the modern age. A writer of bitingly satirical poetry cutting through the pretention at the time. Considered to many as Scotlands greatest song writer, he wrote over 200 poems and had a collection of over 400 songs, which he improved or composed from scratch. In addition, he is found to have written over 800 letters that show him to be a master of English prose, a family man, unfaithful, sympathetic and someone struggling to make a career.
In this course you will begin to look at the work and the phenomenon of Robert Burns. Born in 1759, dead by the age of 37, and encompassing a publishing career which spans fewer than 10 years, Robert Burns today is considered Scotlands national Poet and a world writer.
On successful completion this course, you will be able to:
- Explore the poems, songs and legacy of Robert Burns
- Collaborate with other learners in researching and mapping examples of Burns global reach
- Engage with diverse media related to the study of Burns, including poems, song recordings, videos, images, maps and manuscripts
- Discuss the reputation of Burns as a national and international poet
- Develop an understanding of Burns place in Scottish literary tradition
- Application Deadline
- Start Date
- 22 Jul 2019
- 22 Jul 2019
What it's like to study online
- 100% online for complete flexibility
- Our part-time online programmes are ideal if you're working full-time or have family commitments.
- Connect to campus from anywhere
- All you need for our online programmes is a device with internet access.
- Gain a global perspective
- As an online student, you'll be part of an international community of academics and learners.