EXPLORE STRATEGIES TO SUPPORT THE LANGUAGE NEEDS OF LEARNERS
The 21st Century has seen a lot of change and mobility. So even if you stay in the same place, things might be changing around you.
For teachers, the most obvious change may be the new types of students in your classrooms-- students with unfamiliar names and different accents who are learning the language at the same time they're learning the curriculum content.
This course is aimed at mainstream teachers in school settings who want practical ideas on how to enrich their classroom practises with language learning strategies. We start by stretching the definition of language. It's more than just grammar, pronunciation, and spelling and each curriculum area creates its own particular language demands.
Study some of the deep principles of language learning that you can apply when you design classroom activities. Think about particular strategies to support and develop students' reading, writing, listening, and speaking, and how these skills can work together.
Every teacher is a language teacher to some degree. A little knowledge about how language works, how languages are learned, and how knowledge is built in and through language can make a huge difference.
This course will help you develop background understandings and practical strategies to do this aspect of your job well. This investment in your own learning will benefit both first and second language in your classrooms.
On successful completion this course, you will be able to:
- Explore the multiple dimensions involved in learning a language
- Interpret the different registers and genres of language at work in school settings
- Discuss how language learners can differ in their circumstances and needs
- Design strategies and activities that can support language learners in mainstream classes
What it's like to study online
- 100% online for complete flexibility
- Our part-time online programmes are ideal if you're working full-time or have family commitments.
- Connect to campus from anywhere
- All you need for our online programmes is a device with internet access.
- Gain a global perspective
- As an online student, you'll be part of an international community of academics and learners.